All About NAC & What You Can Take That's Even Better
N-Acetyl-Cysteine or NAC is commonly found in respiratory and liver support supplements. It has been sold in health food stores for decades and has a great track record of safety and effectiveness, but recent FDA statements make it uncertain as to how much longer it will be available without a prescription.
NAC was initially patented in 1960 and came into use as a prescription medication in 1968. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, which is reserved for the safest and most effective medicines.
NAC has been approved by the FDA to treat liver side effects from an overdose of Tylenol (acetaminophen), and it’s also used to loosen the thick mucus in the lungs of people with cystic fibrosis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
With all of this being said, it is puzzling that the FDA is considering removing NAC from health food stores and banning its sale without a prescription.
In warning letters sent last year to several marketers of supplements for “hangovers,” the FDA stated that NAC is excluded from the definition of a dietary supplement because, in part, it was first approved as a drug in 1963.
Apparently an ingredient must have been "marketed as a supplement" before becoming a drug in order to maintain supplement status. Examples of this include fish oil, potassium, and niacin - all sold as drugs today, but marketed as dietary supplements first.
To be clear, there have been no reports of safety issues. It seems rather that this action is purely about deciding to enforce the semantics of a law. If NAC had been sold as a supplement before being sold as a drug, the FDA would have no issue with it existing in both capacities.
Losing NAC on our shelves would be unfortunate as it is essential for making the powerful antioxidant glutathione. This leads to many health benefits including but not limited to:
- Improved immune function and overall cell protection
- Reduced risk of kidney and liver damage
- Improved respiratory conditions
- Stabilized blood sugar
- Reduced heart disease risk
The bottom line is that NAC plays several important roles in human health. Renowned for its ability to replenish levels of the master antioxidant glutathione, it also regulates the important brain neurotransmitter glutamate. Additionally, NAC helps the body’s detoxification system.
These functions make NAC supplements a safe and viable treatment option for multiple health problems. Here's to hoping we don't lose an important tool in holistic healthcare, but what if we do?
What Can We Take If NAC Is Taken Off The Market?
Luckily, there's an even better way than NAC to increase critical glutathione levels. It involves a breakthrough enzymatically enhanced extract from organic spinach. It’s called Solarplast® and it was developed by Deerland Enzymes, one of the premiere probiotic and enzyme labs in the world. Solarplast® contains readily available glutathione and all of its precursors for long-term production including NAC!
Solarplast® is the only substance that contains all the ingredients needed to fuel the glutathione pathway for consistent levels in your immune system:
- Glutathione peroxidase and reductase – facilitates the reduction of glutathione to its active form
- Alpha lipoic acid – essential for aerobic metabolism, approved as a drug in Germany for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy
- Superoxide dismutase (SOD) – an important antioxidant defense in nearly all living cells
- Catalase – a common enzyme found in nearly all living organisms which facilitates the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen, very important enzyme in protecting the cell from oxidative damage
- N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) – a precursor to glutathione that thins mucus in the lungs and treats liver toxicity (specifically acetaminophen overdose)
- Flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) – a coenzyme associated with various proteins, involved with several enzymatic reactions in metabolism
- NADPH – an energy cofactor used in every living cell
- ATP – provides energy for cellular processes, known as the “molecular unit of currency” because of its ability to spark cellular activity.
Solarplast® involves a process where the cell wall of organic spinach cells is gently removed while the lipid membrane is left intact. This protective membrane houses all the ingredients needed to fuel your body's glutathione pathway.
Solarplast® is the best way to deliver readily available glutathione throughout your body
Antioxidants such as NAC and Vitamin C are great, but they're one and done. They do their job and then they're spent and become toxic free radicals themselves.
It's a vicious cycle where you can never get ahead just like bills piling up…
What separates Solarplast® from those other antioxidants is that it amplifies your body’s ability to make its own glutathione which leads to exponentially greater long-term antioxidant benefits!
Think of it this way: What if your bank account automatically reloaded every time you bought groceries or paid a bill? That's what glutathione does for your body's healing and detoxification when you take Solarplast®!
Solarplast® is so amazing because it’s the best way to get glutathione AND it’s the best way to support your body’s natural glutathione production! It’s why we chose it as the “amplifying” ingredient in Amplified Immunity and why we won’t completely despair if a great nutrient like NAC gets taken off the market.